I love eating.
I don’t mind cooking when I have spare time to entertain family and friends.
Other than a microwave and Thermomix, my next favourite kitchen gadget will be a crockpot or slow cooker.
Having little person in the house means that my decision in choosing kitchen gadget would also mean it needs to be safe when I am mindlessly attending my son’s need or doing some house chores.
I love cooking a meal in slow cooker during winter but also can be throughout the year.
This is the simple and cheap slow cook recipe of chicken rice that my family loves.
The gadget you need:
- Slow cooker 5lt size
- Rice cooker or steam pan or microwave
- Chopping knife and soup ladle
- 1 Whole chicken with bones
- 8 cm fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves* (Use mix minced garlic and ginger paste from Asian groceries if you have one handy)
- 3 stalks Spring onions (one stalk for garnishing the broth for serving)
- ½ cup Xiao Shing wine
- 1 liter Water
- 5 Birds eye Chilli
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice
- 1 Lemon or 3 calamansi juice
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp Soya Sauce
- 1 tbsp fried shallots
- Asian green vegetables or cucumber
- Cut chicken’s butt and sharp wings part and wash
- Chopped garlic and ginger to become a paste and separate into 1/3 and 2/3 portions. Use the ready-made paste if you want to. Use 1/3 portion fresh paste can be continued chopped with chili and set aside.
- Marinate chicken with the remaining garlic and ginger paste, salt and pepper, and Xiao shing wine for approx. half an hour in the slow cooker without heat.
- Tie 2 spring onions and put them inside the chicken’s frame
- Put marinated chicken and water into a slow cooker. Cook for high temperature set up for 4 hours or low temperature set up for 8 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked, scoop out chicken stock to be cooked with Jasmine Rice. Measure the liquid level and cook in the rice cooker. When the rice is cooked, mix it with sesame oil. In winter, I turned on the slow cooker before I leave the house for work, and it will be ready when I return home. I then cook the rice.
- Cut Asian green vegetables to be steamed or cucumber then set on a serving plate, chop chicken and drizzle with soya sauce.
- Enjoy the rice, chicken, and vegetable with clear chicken broth soup and garnish with spring onion and fried shallots.
That is the simple and cheap slow cook recipe of chicken rice that my family loves.
For more hacks, head to www.busymumhacks.com